Lets have a real talk about Natural deodorants and Anti-perspirants.
A Few Facts first
- Deodorant controls odor – not sweat.
- Antiperspirant blocks sweat – but isn’t designed to stop odor.
- Using deodorant and antiperspirant together is a good way to beat sweaty armpits and foul body odor, but not the only one.
- Body odor is created by bacteria that accumulates in your armpits.
- Antiperspirants and deodorants do NOT cause cancer.
- Both Antiperspirant and deodorant can lead to “sweat stains”
There's a process to start using Natural deodorant, mainly because your pores are clogged after the use of antiperspirant so the first step is to detox your underarms.
The recommended time for detoxing is 2 weeks and I strongly recommend the following product:
Or any activated charcoal bar will work too.
I already went through the process and there are a few things you need to know will happen when you start using Natural deo.
1. You will smell super weird
About 15% of people switching to a natural deodorant will experience smelling super weird (as in a very odd different smell than your normal BO) which was the most bizarre thing I discovered, but you won't stink.
It's your body releasing all the toxins that were stuffed up in the glands and pores of your pits.
Your body is trying to cleanse itself, so some sweating might also be there.
Two weeks is the average period it takes to adjust, but sometimes up to four.
2. Make sure your pits are clean and dry.
I guess I don't need to tell you that the best time to put on deodorant is after showering. For effectiveness apply after you're out of the shower and your pits are clean and dry.
Natural deodorant won't work as weel if you're already sweating. It's not an antiperspirant.
But you can re-apply after the gym. Re-applying will still help mask the odor, but clean and dry pits are more effective.
3. Your "Normal" Deodorant won't work again.
I started using a Natural deodorant and I expected it to work immediately, so when it didn't I gave up and tried to go back to antiperspirant and that didn't work either, in fact, it was worse.
The body is adapting, so you can't give up.
If you do the detoxing process you won't have to go back.
Just be patient, you will get there.
4. No, you won't smell like a Hippie.
As I mentioned in the 1st step, yes you will smell a bit weird at first but after a while, you won't smell anything.
Now, I am not saying that you will be completely shielded from odors, because not even with the best antiperspirant people is exempt from some funk.
Choosing a natural deodorant is the same as choosing a "Normal" one.
You'll have to try a few and see what works for you, but if you are not sure I recommend you use the "unscented" version first, to avoid funky accidents.